Friday, August 30, 2013

Blue Poppies and The Sea

WhooHoo. I got 2 1/2 cards made this past week.  My neighbor grows blue poppies, they're almost 3 feet tall!  They were my inspiration to color a couple of  my digi poppy images from Sweet n' Sassy Stamps  and I used this week's sketch from The Sweet Stop SSS225  for one of them.  (The other blue poppy card is not finished yet.) 


I love how it turned out with this color combo!  (You can click on the image to make it bigger.)


Stamps: Sweet n' Sassy Stamps-Poppies (digi), Our Daily Bread Designs-Crochet Border    
Ink: TH Distress Ink-Salty Ocean, Faded Jeans, Antique Linen     Paper: K&Company, DCWV     
Other:  Prisma Colored Pencils, Sponge daubers, Seam Binding, water spritzer. Spellbinders-Ovals, 
Floral Oval dies, ODBD-Crochet Border die, Bow Easy

I used TH Distress Ink pads in Salty Ocean & Faded Jeans to dye the seam binding the shade I wanted it.  It was fun to do & I had blue fingers for almost 2 days. :)  Yes, I could have, and probably should have, used a baggie or a plastic glove on my hand but I was too lazy (?) to go down to the kitchen to get one. Well, more like impatient to get on with the fun!  The next day I received a few comments about my 3 dark blue finger tips from co-workers (You didn't get that from gardening...no that would be a green thumb, this here's a blue one, from inking! haha Huh?!), from an auto parts store clerk (like he hasn't seen filthy hands, well, just not blue ones) & from my hubby (They look dirtier than mine after working on my truck, use a scrubber like I do! Really?).

I had worked on this card over several days, and was finishing it up Thursday morning.  My hubby was packing up to go off to work for a few weeks and I had a few hours until we needed to head into the airport.  He called up to me, "are you working on a card for me?!"  Umm, hmm, "Nooo, I'm finishing up another card", I replied as tinges of guilt creep in, helped by his "ohhh" response. Thoughts running through my head: I didn't make him an anniversary card last week, and now he's taking off for a few weeks; he says he likes it when I leave him a note in his bag, which I haven't done in months (?)...oh boy... So I grabbed some stamps, think quick but don't overthink, or nothing will get made!  My inspiration - he's going to be on a ship at sea in the far north (tho not a sail boat like the image I used).  This is what I came up with, and handed to him as I chased him out the door to the waiting vehicle.  Wheewww!  Love ya dear!



Stamps: Sweet n' Sassy Stamps-The Sea      Ink: Versamark, TH Distress ink-Stormy Sea, Antique Linen     
Other:  Judi kins Embossing Powder-Lapis Lazuli (image), Ranger Super Fine Detail EP Black (sentiment) , sponge daubers

The JudiKins EP "Lapis Lazuli" is a mix of a dark blue & a bronze colored powder.  I hadn't used that EP in years and I wasn't sure what look to expect using it with this silhouette image. I just jumped in & tried it, no hours of hesitation....and, well, it gives it an interesting look!  I added a little sponging (maybe not enough) and called it good.  More like hubby called it time to go, so done it was!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!